Geek Social
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I'm waxing philosophical

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

Number of posts : 833
Level of Amanda-ness : 10
Level of Faggotry : 400
Registration date : 2008-03-19

I'm waxing philosophical Empty
PostSubject: I'm waxing philosophical   I'm waxing philosophical Empty16/12/08, 10:11 pm

Hi there everybody. I don't know what causes it (well, that's not really true, I've got some theories, but meaning no offense I'm not going to venture them) but every once in a while I start "waxing philosophical;" strangely, this coincides with periods of my life where I fall into a state of mild (once severe) depression. I wonder if the philosophy causes the depression or vice-versa?

A perfect example right there in that question. So, anyways, because I'm feeling so "deep" right now, I've decided to start this thread for people to post their favorite inspirational or ice-breaking quotes. These can be from well-known people, such as Ghandi, Jesus, Presidents of States, Authors, etc., or they can be from fictional charecters; they can even come from you or a piece of literature you've written, if you'd like. Here are some examples of what I mean, where a) is an example of a real quote and b) is a quote from a fictional person:

"Ice-breaking/humorous:"

a) "Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them."
-Edward W. Howe

b) "In any case, I've been brought to a strange place that I don't much care for; to meet people I care much less for, for a reason I don't believe, and on my birthday. Consider me annoyed and get to the ******* point."
-Lord Isak, The Stormcaller, by Tom Llyod

"Serious/Philosphical/Inspirational:"

a) "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
-Mahatma Gandhi

b) "As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all - the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them."
Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by J.K. Rowling.

So ya, there you go. I'm not too good with the more light-hearted quotes usually, but I'm sure you all will do the work there for me ;-)
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

Number of posts : 2342
Level of Amanda-ness : 6
Level of Faggotry : 725
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: I'm waxing philosophical   I'm waxing philosophical Empty16/12/08, 10:16 pm

Yeah, I'd say philosophy can be pretty depressing.

I lack quotes. -fails- I'm waxing philosophical 73843
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

Number of posts : 833
Level of Amanda-ness : 10
Level of Faggotry : 400
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm waxing philosophical   I'm waxing philosophical Empty16/12/08, 10:19 pm

[rough quote, not exact] "You begin by studying philosophy and you move away from belief in God, because your head is so screwed up by philosophy. But the longer you study it and more you understand, you come back to God."
-Proffesor Laumakis

In other words, philosphy makes you question whether or not you exist in the first place to be able to have the thoughts and opinions that give you the ability to tell whether or not you exist, and whether or not you can be entirely certain the world doesn't cease existing when you stop looking, and other such random things. It messes you up so much, questioning your basic views of the fact that you, as a person, even exist as a noun, that faith flies out the window, but after years of hard thinking, you come back to find no other good explanation.

Not sure how to take this one. Talk to me in a few years I'm waxing philosophical 576661 .
Back to top Go down
Marshall
Insane
Insane
Marshall

Number of posts : 1720
Level of Amanda-ness : -29
Level of Faggotry : 667
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: I'm waxing philosophical   I'm waxing philosophical Empty17/12/08, 07:54 am

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." ~Andre Gide
"
Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth." ~Ludwig Börne
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~Henry David Thoreau
"No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head." ~Terry Josephson
"
Almost every wise saying has an opposite one, no less wise, to balance it." ~Santayana, Essays

Bah, sometimes, philosophy really isn't good for my health.
But I love asking some of those questions, sometimes.
Questions that have no answer. Frustrating, but...strangely satisfying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.4chan.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm waxing philosophical   I'm waxing philosophical Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm waxing philosophical
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geek Social :: Discussion :: Real Life Discussion-
Jump to: