Geek Social
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)

Go down 
+3
Ben
Reprimanded Mandrake
Ryan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

Number of posts : 833
Level of Amanda-ness : 10
Level of Faggotry : 400
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty
PostSubject: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty24/11/08, 09:57 am

Ryan Plaisance

Elections are a relatively new idea to the world of political science. Elections originated with the emergence of democracy, and as democratic governments have become increasingly prevalent in the last two centuries, so too have elections; even many non-democratic governments have held elections in recent years.
Elections serve two purposes. The first and most obvious purpose of an election is to allow “the mass of people to have some direct say in the choice of leaders and policies.” (Shively, page 230). The second purpose is that elections build support for the state by allowing the people to support and participate in the process of government. Whichever reason entices a state to hold elections, there are two general applied methods for holding an election: single-member-district plurality systems (SMDP) and proportional representation systems (PR).
A SMDP system is a system where the state is divided into sections. The number and size of each section is not set, and varies according to each state, although typically these sections have approximately equal populations; sometimes there is only district. Each district is only allowed to elect one representative to represent the interests of its people. If there are multiple candidates for office, the one who receives the most votes is declared the victor. In such a system, it is likely that minority votes will go largely unrepresented, unless a minority is concentrated in just a few districts; larger, more popular candidates make it unlikely that minorities will win individual districts, although their vote may be proportionally larger in number to the number of representatives are elected to represent them.
In a SP system, representation is determined on national level, instead of at the subnational, district level. When voting, voters will place their vote for a political party they favor instead of a specific candidate. All of the votes are counted, and a number of seats are given to each party equal to the proportion of the vote that party received
Before the election begins, the parties need to compile a list of candidates that they wish to have elected as a representative, and rank the candidates in order of preference. The number of seats the party wins in the upcoming election determines who in the party gets elected to office; for the first seat one, the first candidate on the list becomes elected, and for each additional seat, the next person on the list becomes elected. In this way, although the citizens are directly voting for a specific candidate, they can get an idea for the people their votes will be supporting. Such a system is advantageous to small interest groups and minorities, who can gain representatives without achieving a plurality vote in any one district. This can, however, lead to a divided government, which can make effective governance difficult.
Most electoral democracies around the world use some form or variation of the SP system in their elections. There is also no small number of SMDP systems as well, most of them in Briton or one of Britain’s former colonies, such as the United States, Canada, and India. For examples the electoral process, let’s look at the electoral system of Kenya (a SMDP system) and that of Sudan (another SMDP system).
Kenya’s government follows the SMDP system of representation with a few small variations. The parliament has a varying number of seats, which is constitutionally outlined as somewhere between 188 and 210. Each seat is elected by a particular district of Kenya, and the constitution outlines that each district shall be equal in population to each of the others “as appears to the [electoral] commission to be reasonable practicable.” The electoral commission meets every eight to ten years (the exact time may be determined by law) to re-evaluate the districts, and to reorder them as needed to ensure that each district still retains a roughly equal number of people. This is why the exact number of seats in the parliament can fluctuate, because the electoral commission may need to add new or remove old districts in order to ensure a relatively equal system of representation.
One representative from each of these districts is elected to represent their district at parliament, but Kenya breaks from the standard model of the SMDP system by allowing the president of Kenya to appoint 12 members to parliament. There are constitutional outlines regarding who the president can appoint. The twelve people picked by the president are supposed to represent special interest groups or minorities; this is an effort to ensure a fairer system of representation for minority interests who cannot otherwise get their voice heard.
Sudan is also have an electoral process similar to the SMDP system, but it veers farther off the beaten path than Kenya. Sudan is divided up into individual voting districts to elect members of the legislature, and follows all the standards that are associated with a SMDP system, where a plurality vote in each district determines representation.
What is odd about Sudan’s electoral process is that this is only where seventy-five percent of the legislative branch comes from. The other twenty-five percent of the seats in the legislature are specifically reserved for candidates that are elected by special or indirect elections by women and scientific and professional communities. Furthermore, the constitution outlines, if a district is unable to hold a vote for reasons of “national security” the president shall appoint a member of congress for that district instead. Given the current situation in Sudan, it is foreseeable that this measure could be used.

Works Cited

"The constitution of Kenya." 23 Nov. 2008 http://www.bunge.go.ke/downloads/constitution.pdf.

"Constitution of the Republic of Sudan." 23 Nov. 2008 http://www.sudan.net/government/constitution/english.html.

Shively, W. Phillips. Power and Choice : An Introduction to Political Science. New York: McGraw-Hill Humanities, Social Sciences & World Languages, 2007.
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

Number of posts : 2342
Level of Amanda-ness : 6
Level of Faggotry : 725
Registration date : 2008-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty24/11/08, 11:38 am

-reads-
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty24/11/08, 11:41 am

Omg you forgot a period at the end of your fourth paragraphhhhh~
Please see this before you copy/paste. lol.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty24/11/08, 12:53 pm

Gah! What's wrong with me? I still don't see the lack of a period Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) 829954

Maybe if I copy-pasted it back into a word document I would be able to see it, but I regret to say that I did not get your message in time. I don't know how much i missed you by, but I ended up printing this 10 minutes before class started, and there was no post at that time unfortunately.

So ya, the reason this is here in the first place is because my microsoft office program was apparently only a trail version. Yaaa, they'll give me works, but not word. That'd be fine, because I hate Microsoft Word with a burning passion, and use works anyways, but you see, no computer here on campus has works. Ergo, I am forced to copy-paste my works onto a word document before loading it onto my flash drive to run to a printer-connected computer.

You can see the problem: I no longer have word. So, panicking, I decided that if I used this site as an intermediary, I could still copy-paste this onto a word document at the other computer, and save my paper; thankfully it worked.
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty24/11/08, 12:57 pm

Download Open Office. [I believe the URL is www.openoffice.org]
It's an open source office word program which, in my opinion, is ten times better than Microsoft Office anyway~
Back to top Go down
Ben
Insane
Insane
Ben

Number of posts : 1162
Level of Amanda-ness : 1
Level of Faggotry : 710

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty24/11/08, 04:17 pm

I assume Amanda was aiming at

All of the votes are counted, and a number of
seats are given to each party equal to the proportion of the vote that
party received

that sentence?
Back to top Go down
Shell
Insane
Insane
Shell

Number of posts : 1116
Level of Amanda-ness : 4
Level of Faggotry : 249
Registration date : 2008-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty24/11/08, 04:24 pm

mhmmm

-Amanda
Back to top Go down
Reprimanded Mandrake
Administrator
Administrator
Reprimanded Mandrake

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty25/11/08, 12:04 am

Shell wrote:
mhmmm

-Amanda

lolme.
Back to top Go down
Rebecca
Troll
Troll
Rebecca

Number of posts : 250
Level of Amanda-ness : 0
Level of Faggotry : 124
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty26/11/08, 03:33 pm

Ok lets be honest how many people clicked on this even though it said "Do not read."
If it makes you feel better Ryan I clinked on it but didn't read it.
Back to top Go down
http://myspce.com/hugmyflowerwithyoureyes
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty26/11/08, 10:15 pm

Oh, whatever, it's ok Rebecca. I could have edited this out long ago, but I didn't. I decided that it really wasn't worth editing. Besides, now I'm of the opinion that if I can't stand my friends reading my work critically on a topic like this, what does that say about my confidence regarding my abilities at writing regarding those things that I find interesting?
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty17/02/09, 10:34 am

Curse the ability of my flash drive to dissapear when needed!!

Quote :
Ryan Plaisance
Our group began with the question of whether or not temperature has an effect on the function of the sucrase enzyme. Sucrase is an enzyme that serves as a catalyst in the digestion of sucrose by breaking it into its components: glucose and fructose. To test for the effectiveness of sucrase at differing temperatures, a solution of water and 5% sucrose was prepared to which the sucrase enzyme would be added. By monitoring the concentration of glucose, a by-product of the reaction between sucrose and sucrase, our group would be able to determine the effectiveness of the sucrase.
To obtain the sucrase itself, we used a mortar and pedestal on a solution of water and yeast, grinding open several yeast cells to release the enzyme sucrase inside, which was subsequently separated by a centrifuge. Two solutions of sucrose were heated to different temperatures, and then the sucrase-bearing solution was added and allowed to sit for two minutes, after which each solution was tested with a glucose monitor to determine the concentration of glucose. The results are recorded on the table below:

It is clear from this to see that our original hypothesis has been proven incorrect; as the temperature rises, the reaction between sucrase and sucrose molecules becomes more efficient, and so the sucrase was not denatured, at least not at these temperatures. I hypothesis that the addition of heat to the sucrase and sucrose solution added kinetic energy, causing the molecules to move faster and, consequently, to have more collisions between the sucrose and sucrase in a given time period, leader to a greater efficiency in the reaction.
It is noted that as the temperature got closer the internal temperature of a human person, the reaction became more effective. This makes perfect sense, as the digestive tract of a human person is a natural home for sucrase molecules, and they ought to be most efficient when
performing the task that they are designed to do. This is why humans are able to easily digest
sucrose molecules.
Back to top Go down
Justin
Administrator
Administrator
Justin

Number of posts : 2830
Level of Faggotry : 1279
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty17/02/09, 09:27 pm

Rebecca wrote:
Ok lets be honest how many people clicked on this even though it said "Do not read."
If it makes you feel better Ryan I clinked on it but didn't read it.

i clicked on it to see the replys :D
Back to top Go down
https://geeksocial.rpg-board.net
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty17/02/09, 11:27 pm

Justin wrote:
i clicked on it to see the replys :D

It's ok Justin, we all know you're jealous of my awesome writing skills Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) 313426

I just watch this thread carefully to make sure one of my papers doesn't mysteriously vanish via moderator powers to remove all evidence of plagerism Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) 613513

Then the blackmail can begin in earnest ^^
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty18/02/09, 10:06 am

Ryan Plaisance

It is hard, upon reading The Shape of Things, by Neil Labute, to view the character of Evelyn as a heroine, or even as anything less than a villain. From the very start of the play, Evelyn is plotting Adam’s demise, wondering just how much she can change him before her thesis work becomes due, where she plans to unveil her “human sculpture”; she plans to mold Adam using “only manipulation as my palate knife” into someone he would never become on his own. In essence, she seeks to change the core of who Adam really is, and she attempts to justify her position by classifying it as “art.”
Evelyn considers art to be something that is rather completely subjective, and that art is all about making a statement; in her view, art need not (and in many cases should not) be beautiful or orthodox, so long as it makes a statement. She considers her art the highest form of communication, and places her work over the boundaries of morality and the law. In the end of the play, Evelyn makes it quite clear that she regrets nothing when she says “As for me, I have no regrets, no feelings of remorse for my actions;” When Adam finally confronts Evelyn after all that she has done, she goes as far to ask him to his face to explain to her what she has done wrong.
Evelyn is not your typical villainess. She harbors no ill will towards the protagonist, Adam, nor towards anybody else who may have disagreed with her, but neither does she empathize with them. She follows a strictly teleological viewpoint, one in which the final result will justify any means so long as the result is something good or necessary. In Evelyn’s specific case, “there is only art, art that must be created whatever the cost.” She understands that she has hurt Adam, at the very least on an emotional level, but she feels that her actions are perfectly justified; she is not evil, just immoral by the standards of society.
An analogy could be drawn between Evelyn and Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. She would fancy herself one of the enlightened individuals who has escaped the metaphorical cave that represents ignorance. She believes that she is pulling people away from the dancing wall shadows into the light of knowledge, and that the only way to do it is to shock people out of their norm. Evelyn, like the man in the allegory of the cave, risks being persecuted for what she does. When Adam confronts her, he says “I should sue your ass” she responds easily that “you could try. I did take that risk.” This is a key issue: Evelyn knew that what she was doing was wrong, even if she feels it was justified, but she does it anyway.
There are something things which just ought not to be done unto another. A saying by Confucius says “do not do unto others as you would not have them do unto you;” a common adage takes this a step further and tells people to “do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.” Would Evelyn be as open-minded if some similar happened to her? What would the world be like if everyone acted as Evelyn did? Would the world really be a better place?
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty06/04/09, 08:44 am

*sigh* guess what happened to my flash drive again?

Good Questions
1) In the play Henry V, by William Shakespeare, King Henry the fifth goes to war against France with the assurance of the Duke of Canterbury and Eli. In the opening scene, it is shown that the logic of these two churchmen is influenced by greed, and so they seek to convince King Henry V that his war against France is justified to satisfy their own agenda. Although anybody could have done likewise, one must wonder about the relationship between the church and the state. Does religion have a place in politics? Are the policies necessary to efficiently run a state mutually exclusive with religion?
2) King Henry V calls for a consultation as to whether or not he should go to war against France. The arguments are laid before him, and ultimately, he decides that his claim to France is legitimate. Given these circumstances, was it still right for him to go to war with the knowledge that it would cost thousands of people their lives?
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty08/04/09, 08:46 am

I swear, I'd be failing all my classes now if I didn't have this website to copy-paste from, lol.

English 112
April 7, 2009

Henry V, is arguably the most well-read historical play written by William Shakespeare. The performance opens with the chorus, but the story begins with the plotting of two bishops scheming about how they shall convince King Henry to go to war with France, in order that the church’s wealth be secure, for parliament was at that time debating a bill that would tax church revenues (Henry V, Mowat and Werstine).
The king takes this matter very seriously. He asks of the Duke of Canterbury (one of the two conspiring dukes in the opening scene) whether or not he has a legitimate claim to the throne of France. Naturally, the bishop’s answer is biased; if Henry’s claim is legitimate, it will go favorably for the bishop, and so he makes an elaborate argument and concludes that Henry is, indeed, the rightful heir to France. Henry, apparently uncertain, and taking the matter most seriously, asks the bishop point blank “May I with right and conscience make this claim?” to which Canterbury replies “The sin upon my head, dread sovereign.”
This is as strong a certainty as can be bestowed. Henry is convinced that his claim is legitimate, and he has been reassured in the strongest possible tones that his soul is safe; to claim France is no sin; he makes preparations for war. Still, a person must wonder if Henry made the right decision.
His claim appears (at least at first) to be legitimate and justified, and yet he goes to war with the full knowledge that doing so will bring great suffering to both his and the French people. Who shall it be that gains from the conflict? Certainly, the lives of those who perish in the conflict shall not be enriched. A claim could be made that, by the plunder of France, the people of England shall be made wealthier. However, this justification falls flat, for the English gain from the loss of the French. The argument cannot even be made that Henry holds Englishmen in higher regard, for when Bardolph, Henry’s old friend, is caught stealing from the French, Henry does not so much at flinch, and does nothing to soften his penalty for looting: death (Henry V, Mowat and Werstine).
It cannot either be claimed that Henry was unaware of the suffering that his war would cause. Indeed, his message to the King of France upon landing is one that emphasizes the destruction it shall cause. He urges the French King to surrender his reign, for the sake of those this war will harm:
“On the poor souls for whom this hungry war
Opens his vasty jaws; and on your head
Turning the widows' tears, the orphans' cries,
The dead men's blood, the pining maidens' groans,
For husbands, fathers, and betrothed lovers,
That shall be swallowed in this controversy.”
It is clear from this that Henry is full in the knowledge of the strife that his war will cause.
It is always difficult to determine whether or not a given action is “just” or “right.” Even hard facts can be skewed to support one given perspective or the other. King Henry seems conflicted throughout the book as to whether he is doing what is right. On the one hand, he claims that his claim is legitimate, and he tells his army that they shall prevail because they uphold a righteous cause. On the other hand, he seems to doubt himself. He dresses up as a commoner, and while in disguise asks of many what they think of the king and his war. To each criticism, he attempts to vindicate himself, and after all is told, he seems still to believe that he is in the right, but it does not change the fact that he doubts himself, and perhaps for good reason. As the soldier Williams put it “I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they charitably dispose of anything, when blood is their argument? Now, if these men do not die well, it will be a black matter for the King that led them to it.”
Was King Henry’s claim legitimate? If it was, are terrible acts vindicated when used to pursue a righteous cause? In this case, was it right to sacrifice the lives of thousands for the gain of this one cause? These are questions without an answer, and their kin continue to vex humanity to this day. One thing is clear though: such decisions must be made only after a great deal of consideration has been given to the consequences. In this arena, at least, it is clear that Henry fought valiantly.

Works Cited

Mowat, Barbara A., and Paul Werstine. "Henry V." -Folger Shakespeare Library. 07 Apr. 2009 .
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty29/04/09, 09:01 am

Dont mind me, nothing to see here:

Ryan Plaisance
English 112
Professor Kolles
4/28/2009

Response Paper

In the play Twelve Angry Men, a young boy is on trial for the murder of his father. The play takes place almost exclusively inside the jury room, where twelve jury men were attempting to determine whether or not the young man is guilty. A preliminary vote is taken, and the jury discovered that they are currently locked at a vote of eleven in favor or guilty and one in favor of acquittal.
As things progress, however, things begin to change. The one juror that voted not guilty slowly begins to introduce doubt into all of the evidence supplied by the prosecution, bringing more and more of his fellow jurors to the opinion that a reasonable doubt has been established in this case.
I found this play to be fascinating. It is very well known, and there are a multitude of parodies stemming from this one play. It is surprising to think that this play enjoys such widespread success considering that it deals with one of the more boring and tedious chores: jury duty. As stated repeatedly throughout the play, it is evident that most, if not all, of the jurors would rather not have been called into court at all. One is frantic to end the affair quickly so that he may go to the baseball game that he has tickets for, and he voices quite loudly his desire to be gone.
Furthermore, many people, when called in for jury duty, will go to fantastical lengths to stay off the juror’s bench, providing excuses, attempting to prove they have a severe bias to the case, feigning mental illness, etc. Despite the apparent lackluster appeal of the basis for the play Twelve Angry Men, it captivates the reader with the high tension in the court room.
Juror eleven makes a very valid point when he says that they, the jurors, have nothing to gain or lose from the case they are judging. Whether they bring back a verdict of innocence or guilt, it will have no impact on their lives. Despite this, the jurors are at each other’s throats throughout the play, and tempers rise and fall with each argument; the play is justly named. This conflict gives the play a buoyancy that it would have lacked in a straight analysis of the court case, something that an “average” jury would do. Instead of respectful and thoughtful debate, juror number eight cleverly brings into question each piece of evidence under the heavy scrutiny of his peers. In making his, juror eight plays off juror number three’s anger, twice getting the juror to admit things about the case that weakened the evidence of the boy’s guilt.
Despite the arguably boring subject matter of this play, the writer brings to the reader a tale that is entertaining, thought-provoking, and fun to read. Twelve Angry Men is a book with as much relevance today as it had when it was written, and continues to entertain and, perhaps, educate audiences to this day.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty29/04/09, 09:03 am

Good Questions

1) In the play Twelve Angry Men, the jurors are bound by the law to discuss the trail and come to a unanimous decision to either acquit or find guilty. The jurors are also told that if a reasonable doubt can be established as to the defendants guilt, then they must find in the favor of not guilty. This precedence is intended to give the benefit of a doubt to the defendant. In doing so, many guilty people go free. William Blackstone said “Better that 10 guilty person escape than one innocent suffer.” Is it better that criminals, who may or may not commit other crimes, escape to save a few innocents, or that innocent people should be wrongly punished to keep the guilty from “slipping through our fingers” as juror number three put it.
2) The Constitution ensures a person the right to a fair and speedy trial in which that person will be judge by a jury of their peers. However, in the United States of America today, Jury pools are selected at random, and then screened in an attempt to remove prejudice. In this way, the legal system attempts to remove bias from the jury. Is this all that is required for a jury to be considered a jury of “peers?”
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

Number of posts : 1410
Level of Amanda-ness : 2
Level of Faggotry : 918
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty29/04/09, 09:15 am

Ryan, you know flash drive prices are at an all time low right?

=D

And don't you have a laptop any way?
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty29/04/09, 11:49 am

Yes and yes. To the first, I need to get out and buy one (assuming I give up hope of finding the other) and to the second, the laptop doesn't connect to the school's printer. I very well could probably go out of my way to get a cheap flash drive, but for the time being it's simply easier to run my papers through here Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) 613513
Back to top Go down
Xander
The Linux Kernal
The Linux Kernal
Xander

Number of posts : 1410
Level of Amanda-ness : 2
Level of Faggotry : 918
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty29/04/09, 12:56 pm

Screw that, go go amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CH3IIW/sr=8-12/qid=1241023801/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241023801&sr=8-12

I wonder where dorm people have things shipped? Is there a mail room or something? Or is it not even possible?
Back to top Go down
Ryan
Insane
Insane
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty29/04/09, 08:52 pm

There's a small postal office downstairs where you can pick up packages. I've heard from friends that our postal service has poor service though, but it'll get to me eventually.

EDIT: IGNORE THIS PLEASE.

EDIT 2: I'm not here. Unless you want your brain assailed by speculation on why God and suffering exist, you should not read any further:

Ryan
Plaisance

Theology
200-04

Theodocy:
Sin, Evil, and Suffering

Theodicy
is a Christian doctrine concerning the problem of Sin, Evil, and
Suffering; Theodicy attempts to reconcile the existence of these with
the existence of an omnipotent, all-powerful, and benevolent God. The
problem is presented as such: if God is omnipotent, all-powerful, and
benevolent, then why does he allow Sin, Evil, and Suffering to exist?

A
more thorough explanation of this doctrine must first be presented
before we can move forward. According to the Christian doctrine of
Theodicy, there are two kinds of evil: the physical, and the moral.
Physical evils are those found in disease and other natural causes
(weather, disasters, etc.). Moral evils are those caused by
humans–things which are the result of humans exercising our free
will. Because of the nature of free will, some physical evils can be
caused by human agency, making them moral evils.

There
are also two kinds of suffering: suffering for a cause, or needless
suffering. Although it is possible to suffer so as to better
ourselves through self-sacrifice, there also exists unnecessary
suffering, which serves no purpose, and is absolutely contrary to
God's will for humanity. Although any suffering at all can cause
problems for a theologian, it is the latter of the two, unnecessary
suffering, which vexes them the most. It is suffering which serves
absolutely no purpose, and it is suffering to which God
must
be opposed to, so why does God allow it to exist?

An
answer to this question is not easy to discern. First, we will
explore what scripture has to say on the subject, and then what
classical thinkers have thought about the issue. I will evaluate the
strength of the logic presented, and then attempt to explain my
understanding of the topic.

Biblical
figures have often struggled with the question posed by Theodocy,
from the Israelites and Gideon, to Jesus Christ himself. In the
desert, the Israelites call out to God via Moses, saying “…
you
have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly
to death.” (Exodus 16:3). Some time later, when bad times had again
befallen the Israelites, Gideon said that “if the LORD is with us,
why has all this happened to us?” They wonder why God would permit
them to suffer. If God was with them, and God had the power to end
their suffering, why did God not do so? Even Jesus Christ, the “Son
of God,” had at least one moment of doubt on the cross, when he
says “‘Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?’—which means, "My
God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

No
easy answer to these questions are to be found directly in the
scriptures. The burden of explanation falls to theologians to deduce.
Several have attempted to give an answer to this problem. Thomas
Aquinas made the argument that if God made the world without
suffering and evil, then that would mean a world without sentient
beings. Sentient beings, he proposes, have the capacity to suffer,
therefore, things that do not have the capacity to suffer are not
sentient beings, and because of this suffering must exist.

For
myself, I find the problem to be nigh unsolvable. My image of God is
one of an omniscient, omnipotent, and good God. I believe that
anything short of this is contrary to the idea of God. If God does
not have omnipotence and omniscience, then God’s power is limited;
God is no longer capable of doing everything. At this point, God
ceases to be God, because it implies that God can be made subject to
something. He would no longer be the ultimate authority; there would
be some law above God, which is logically impossible. Likewise, God
must be care for our suffering. If our suffering, our unnecessary
suffering,
is sanctioned by God, then we must be forced to accept that suffering
is, in fact, good; God being the ultimate authority, if God sanctions
suffering as good, then it is, in fact, good. We lose all incentive
to end suffering and, some may even say, have the duty to increase
suffering. This is counter-intuitive and detrimental to humanity.

Having
established my belief in an omnipotent, omniscient, and benevolent
God (or, rather, rejecting every other possibility) I must now
justify why such a God would allow evil and suffering to thrive in
the world. Firstly, I acknowledge the existence of the two types of
evil: natural and moral. Moral evils I can understand as compatible
with God. God designed humanity to be sentient, free-willed beings.
By allowing us to have free will, God must respect our decisions, and
not interfere in them.

Some
philosophers and theologians will posit that, because God fails to
stop moral evils, then God condones evil. They argue that since God
is aware of the evil that a person is about to commit, and because he
has the power to stop it, then he is “obligated” to stop it if it
he is a “good” God. Because God does not stop these evil actions,
God cannot be good, in the same way that a man who chooses not to
save someone else's life is not good (assuming no risk to the
savior).

Logically,
God can never be “obligated” to do anything, since an omnipotent
God is unbound by restriction, but if s/he does not act in certain
ways, then s/he cannot be a good God. I have already outlined why I
believe that God is good, and since s/he is good, there are certain
things that s/he must choose not to do. However, I find the
argument of God's inaction to be lacking. I do not deny that God is
aware of the evil, nor that God could stop the evil, but that if God
chose to do so (consistently), then humanity would no longer be
free-willed. By stopping us from committing evil acts, God removes
the choice from humanity of committing evil acts. I feel that it is
because values humanity as beings with free will that s/he chooses
not to interfere in this way.

I
have some problems with natural evil, however. The Christian
understanding of theodicy accept that there is physical evil, evil
which is not caused by human agency. Additionally, the theodicy
claims that there is unnecessary suffering in the world. It is only
logical to assume, therefore, that there could exist unnecessary
suffering because of evil that is not caused by human free will. If
it is not caused by human agency, then the question returns: why does
God allow it to happen? This time, it cannot be explained away as a
concession to free will, because it's cause was completely
independent of human agency.

I
can find no way to reconcile this with my understanding of God;
something must give. In order to preserve an omnipotent, omniscient,
and benevolent God, one of three things must be true: Either God does
not exist in reality, there is no needless suffering, or there is no
physical evil. I reject the first outright, because if God does not
exist, there is no need to reconcile God with suffering, and so the
point is moot. The second I reject on the grounds of human freedom.
Since humans have free will, we are free to inflict needless
suffering, and thus needless suffering must exist. Therefore, the
last of these must be true: that there is no physical evil. This
would mean that all evil that exists is moral evil, caused by human
agency. To me, this makes sense, because every decision that humans
make as free-willed entities have consequences, foreseen or not, that
change the world around us in drastic ways. To claim that anything
that exists has not been affected by free-willed decisions, even
remotely, I find illogical.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)   Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons) Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Not Read (need to copy-paste from here for homework reasons)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Geek Social :: Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: